This is a traditional Iranian dish that works perfectly with our smoked kiln roast trout. You can also try with our smoked salmon if you prefer. Easy to make, it’s a delicious centrepiece to share at lunch or supper with friends and family.
- 1 pack of RR. Spink & Sons Kiln Roast Trout
- 120ml sunflower oil, plus extra
- 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sized aubergine, chopped into 1cm square cubes
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 25g chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan and cook the onions and aubergine over medium heat for seven minutes, until soft without browning. Allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour, baking powder, parsley, flaked kiln roast trout, garlic, lime juice, salt and a good grind of pepper.
Once the egg mix is combined, add in and the aubergine and onion mix.
Brush a 22cm cake tin with oil, line with greaseproof paper and brush the paper with more oil.
Pour the egg mix into the tin and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden-brown.
Can be served hot or cold, and delicious garnished with lemon or lime wedges, pomegranate. Serve with a crisp side salad.