A wonderfully Scottish interpretation of the Italian staple; this recipe swaps Arborio rice for native pearl barley, and complements our Whisky Smoked Trout with earthy kale.
- 150g of chopped RR. Spink & Sons whisky smoked trout
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 15g of olive oil
- 100g of dry cider
- 300g of pearl barley
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock
- 25g of grated parmesan or a hard cheddar style cheese
- 100g of kale shredded finely
“There are few trout dishes that are as easy to make and as enjoyable to eat as this pearl barley & kale risotto!” Scott Fraser – RR. Spink & Sons chef
- Begin by chopping the shallots finely.
- Heat olive oil in medium-sized sauce pan and fry for 4-5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Once the onions are translucent add the barley. Stir for 1 minute until slightly toasted and then add the cider.
- Keep stirring until all of the cider is absorbed. Once absorbed, start pouring vegetable stock gradually, stirring all the time.
- Keep adding the stock until the barley is soft all the way through, about 20 minutes (you may not need all of the stock).
- Stir in the kale. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Turn of the heat and stir in the cheese. Finally fold in the smoked trout just before serving.