Seasoned sushi maker or absolute beginner, this Japanese inspired smoked trout recipe is a fantastic addition to your dinner party repertoire.
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 packet of RR. Spink & Sons Gin Smoked Trout
- 3 cups Japanese rice
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet of Mara honey seaweed
- 1 tbsp of Japanese mayonnaise
“Looking for easy fish recipes as starters or canapés? Look no further than these delicious, Japanese smoked trout & rice balls!” – Scott Fraser, RR. Spink & Sons chef
- Place the sushi rice and water in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Put on the lid and bring to the boil. Cook on a low heat for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Leave to sit for 12 minutes to steam.
- Remove the rice and put into a clean bowl.
- Mix the sugar, salt and vinegar together. While the rice is still warm add the vinegar to the mixture.
- Allow the rice to cool.
- Mince the trout and fold through the rice mixture. Roll the mix into 12 balls and chill in the fridge.
- Before serving, roll each ball in the Mara Seaweed until covered. Top with a dot of Japanese mayonnaise.