For a truly unusual, elegant smoked trout dish serve our celebratory 300 year tsar fillet ‘sashimi style’ with a Scottish twist on classic sesame gomshio using locally sourced seaweed.
- 1 pack RR. Spink & Sons 300 Year Anniversary Royal Fillet
- Wasabi paste (optional)
For the ponzu dressing:
- 80ml Shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp Bonito flakes (katsuobushi)
- 1 tbsp Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 60ml of Yuzu juice (or 30ml lemon juice & 30ml lime juice)
For the sesame gomashio:
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp raw Basmati rice
- 1 tsp Mara shony seaweed
“Continuing with the traditional Japanese theme, this smoked trout dishes perfect accompanied by a chilled, unpasteurised Sake such as: Kuromatsu Nama Ginjoshu.” – Scott Fraser, RR. Spink & Sons chef
- To make the ponzu dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together until combined; if using freshly squeezed juice, pass the sauce through a sieve before portioning into four small bowls.
- For the gomashio, toast the rice in a dry pan over a medium high heat until it turns white and opaque, takes on a slight golden colour and begins smelling of popcorn. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Once cool, crush the rice in a pestle and mortar until the grains are roughly the size of sesame seeds.
- In the same pan toast the white and black sesame seeds until the white seeds become golden brown; mix with the toasted rice and the seaweed.
- To serve, slice the tsar fillets into 1cm pieces and serve on individual plates with a small bowl of ponzu sauce, a small dish of gomshio and a dollop of wasabi if desired.