We love a the comforting flavours of a good chowder. Use any bits of leftover fish and seafood you like – be adventurous! You can easily leave out the white wine if you prefer to cook without it.
- 1 pack RR. Spink & Sons Hot Smoked Trout
- 200g mussels, cleaned & debearded & pre-steamed in a little stock
- 300g cooked prawns
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch mace
- 100ml dry white wine
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced & well rinsed
- 700ml fish stock
- 1 large floury potato, peeled, finely grated
- 200ml single cream
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn, blended in a food processor. Keep a few back to finish the soup with
- salt & pepper to season
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and leeks, mace and cayenne pepper.
Cook for 8-10 mins until softened. Add the grated potato, a tbsp chopped parsley and sweetcorn and sweat off for a couple more minutes. Add the white wine and bring up to heat. Add the fish stock and bring it up to a simmer.
Cover then keep on a low simmer for 10-12 mins until the potatoes are cooked through. Blitz with a stick blender until fully blended. Add the cream gently and warm through.
Add the leftover sweetcorn, prawns, cooked mussels and chunks of the hot smoked trout and gently warm through for another 2 minutes. If you prefer, you can add smaller flakes of the trout into the chowder.
Season with salt & pepper before serving. Finish with fresh flat-leaf parsley and serve with crusty bread or toasted sourdough.