One of favourite smoked trout recipes for using up seasonal vegetables leftover in your fridge, or waiting to be used up from the garden!
Lightly pickled vegetables:
- A selection of summer vegetables such as: baby courgette, mini cauliflower florets, radishes, broccoli, asparagus, peas, thinly sliced fennel and red onion
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 200ml water
- 20g sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 3 black peppercorns
For the saffron mayonnaise:
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp ready-prepared English mustard
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 1 pinch of saffron
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
“Smoked trout recipes such as this are immensely satisfying – what could be better than a meal of fresh Scottish fish accompanied by in-season vegetables and a homemade sauce?” – Scott Fraser, RR. Spink & Sons chef
To make the mayonnaise:
- Soak the saffron in the vinegar overnight.
- Place a bowl on a damp towel to stop it from moving and add the egg yolks, mustard, pinch of salt, two twists of pepper and the white wine vinegar/saffron mixture; whisk together for 30 seconds, until combined.
- Gradually pour in the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly. You might want to enlist a second person to help with this! Keep whisking until all the oil is fully incorporated – you should now have a thick mayonnaise.
- If the mayonnaise splits, all is not lost. Re-whisk another egg yolk and pour the spilt mixture back into the egg yolk. This can be easily done in a food processor in needed.
To pickle the vegetables:
- Place the vegetables in a heatproof bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, bring the wet ingredients (water and white wine vinegar) to the boil over a high heat; when the pickling liquor reaches the boil, pour it over the vegetables and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Cover the base of two small plates with the RR. Sink & Sons Loch Etive Cold Smoked Trout; top each plate with the pickled vegetables and dot with saffron mayonnaise to finish.