Some days just call for a big bowl of soup, and this is one of our favourite smoked salmon recipes to satisfy the urge, whatever the season! Perfect for tasty lunches, it’s also great as a dinner party starter.
- 1 packet of RR. Spink & Sons Kiln Roast Salmon, flaked
- 4 free range hen’s eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 large bunches watercress, chopped (plus a couple of leaves for the garnish)
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1.5 litres fish stock or water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- Salt & freshly milled black pepper
“This is a wonderfully light, fresh soup that goes perfectly with the hot smoked salmon; it’s definitely one of my favourite healthy salmon recipes when I want a virtuous lunch!” – Scott Fraser, RR. Spink & Sons Chef
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the butter or olive oil for 6-7 seven minutes, or until soft
- Pour in the potatoes and coat in the butter, then add the fish stock (or water) and bring to the boil; cook for twenty minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the chopped watercress for the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Liquidise the soup with a stick blender – chopping the watercress beforehand should help the soup blend better.
- If you want a more velvety finish, pass the soup through a rough sieve if you want for a smoother finish (optional).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Keeping your soup warmed through, poach four eggs in simmering water.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and top with the flaked salmon.
- To finish, garnish with a couple of watercress leaves and a dollop of crème fraîche – serve with soda bread.